Welcome to the Blanton Museum of Art. We hope the guidelines below will help you plan an engaging and fun experience. While you're visiting, feel free to ask any member of our staff to assist you further.
For Families | Where to Eat | Additional Information
Here are a few helpful hints and “house rules” for your comfort and safety and the safety of our priceless art treasures during your visit:
- Look and enjoy, but please do not touch the art.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the galleries, including gum and water bottles.
- The University of Texas at Austin's tobacco-free campus policy applies to all university buildings and on university grounds. Smoking is not allowed inside The Blanton's two buildings and surrounding walkways, sidewalks, and parking areas.
- Cell phone use is not permitted in the galleries.
- Pencils only (no pens) are permitted in the galleries and are available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Items larger than 11” x 15” - including backpacks, purses, umbrellas, and other bulky or rigid items are not allowed in the galleries, and must be put into a locker. Lockers are self–serve and require a quarter, which is refunded after the locker is emptied. The Visitor Services Desk has quarters you can use.
- Photography for personal use is permitted in the permanent collection galleries on the second floor only. Flash photography and tripods are not allowed. Videotaping is permitted in the Rapoport Atrium and lobby only. No photographs or videotapes may be reproduced, distributed, or sold without advance arrangement and written permission.
- Sketching is permitted in the galleries–pencil and colored pencil only, no ink or charcoal–with soft bound sketchbooks no larger than 18” x 24”.
- No baby backpacks, please. Soft frontpacks, or small single–child strollers, are allowed. Single–child strollers are available at the Visitor Services Desk. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate large or double strollers in the galleries.
- Wheelchairs are available at the Visitor Services Desk.
What Families Need to Know
- Changing tables are located in all restrooms; there are no restrooms or changing areas on the second floor.
- All bags larger than 11” x 15”, including diaper bags, must be placed in a locker by the entrance. Lockers are self–serve and require a quarter, which is refunded after the locker is emptied. The Visitor Services Desk has quarters you can use.
- No baby backpacks, please. Soft frontpacks and single-child strollers are allowed in the museum. Large-framed child carriers and double strollers need to be left in the checkroom or in a locker. There are a limited number of single-child strollers available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Snacks, drinks, and toys must be put in a locker in order to protect the collections.
- Water fountains are located by the first-floor restrooms and by the second–floor elevator.
- Nursing mothers may use The Blanton's eLounge or seating in the East Rotunda for a quiet place to sit.
- PLEASE NOTE: Some works in the museum contain content or ideas of an adult nature. If you are visiting with small children, feel free to ask our Visitor Services staff or Gallery Assistants for further information about adult content in the galleries.
Please call the Visitor Services Desk at (512) 471–5482 for more details.
Where to Eat
The Blanton Café offers visitors a relaxing spot in which to enjoy a variety of sandwiches, gourmet flat bread pizzas, salads, signature desserts, and of course, coffee drinks and smoothies. A limited menu is served after 2 PM on weekdays and on the weekends.
Café Menu PDF
Late Afternoon and Weekend Menu PDF
(pdfs - download Adobe Reader)
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM | Saturday & Sunday 12 PM – 4 PM
The Café is open until 9PM on Third Thursday evenings and during B scene.
For additional information, please visit the appropriate links below:
Find out more about parking when you're visiting the Blanton.
Find out more about accessibility at the Blanton.
Find out more about group tours at the Blanton.