We hope the guidelines below will help you plan an engaging and fun experience. While you're visiting, feel free to ask any member of our staff to assist you further.
- Look and enjoy, but please do not touch the art.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the galleries, including gum and water bottles.
- Cell phone use is not permitted in the galleries.
- Pencils only (no pens) are permitted in the galleries and are available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Items larger than 11” x 15” - including backpacks, diaper bags, purses, umbrellas, and other bulky or rigid items are not allowed in the galleries, and must be put into a locker. Lockers are self–serve and require a quarter, which is refunded after the locker is emptied. The Visitor Services Desk has quarters you can use.
- Amateur photography and video using hand-held devices is allowed in the Blanton unless otherwise indicated by museum staff or signs. To ensure the safety of our artworks, we do not permit the use of flash photography, tripods, monopods, or selfie sticks at any time. Feel free to text, take photos, and tweet about your visit, but keep your phone on silent or vibrate as a courtesy to other visitors. For our full photography policy, please click here.
- Sketching is permitted in the galleries–pencil and colored pencil only, no ink or charcoal–with soft bound sketchbooks no larger than 18” x 24”.
- No baby backpacks, please. Soft frontpacks and strollers are allowed. Single–child strollers are available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Wheelchairs are available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- The University of Texas at Austin's tobacco-free campus policy applies to all university buildings and on university grounds. Smoking is not allowed inside The Blanton's two buildings and surrounding walkways, sidewalks, and parking areas.
- Changing tables are located in all restrooms; there are no restrooms or changing areas on the second floor.
- All bags larger than 11” x 15”, including diaper bags, must be placed in a locker by the entrance. Lockers are self–serve and require a quarter, which is refunded after the locker is emptied. The Visitor Services Desk has quarters you can use.
- No baby backpacks, please. Soft frontpacks and strollers are allowed in the museum. Large-framed child carriers need to be left in the checkroom or in a locker. There are a limited number of single-child strollers available at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Snacks, drinks, and toys must be put in a locker in order to protect the collections.
- Water fountains are located by the first-floor restrooms.
- PLEASE NOTE: Some works in the museum contain content or ideas of an adult nature. If you are visiting with small children, feel free to ask our Visitor Services staff or Gallery Assistants for further information about adult content in the galleries.
Please call the Visitor Services Desk at 512.471.5482 with any questions you may have.