The Blanton is pleased to offer a limited number of in-person group visits. To ensure we can accommodate your group, please contact us to make a request in advance. Please note that the Blanton’s New Grounds Initiative is underway, and construction may affect the arrival process.
A volunteer gallery teacher will introduce the group to the permanent collection or a special exhibition. The Blanton’s Butler Gallery, Paper Vault, and Contemporary Project galleries change regularly so you will always see something new on every visit.
Public tours are on a first-come, first-served basis. Check in with the Visitor Services Desk to secure your place. Public tours are included with museum admission.
2022sun04dec1:30 pmVisita Guiada Pública [EN ESPAÑOL]- Telas pintadas: Moda y Ritual en la América Latina ColonialRealice una visita guiada dirigida por un docente de esta importante exposición.1:30 pm(GMT-07:00) View in my time
School Group Visits
The Blanton’s school group visits aim to inspire curiosity and foster lifelong relationships between students and the art through interactive, inquiry-based explorations of art. In addition to in-person guided visits, the Blanton’s education department has developed a range of digital resources to support classroom and at-home learning. Learn more on our PK-12 Resources page.
Gallery Lesson Offerings
The Blanton is pleased to offer gallery lessons that focus on a variety of curricular topics ranging from literacy to social justice. Our most popular guided visits include:
• Art Trek: Overview for all ages. Travel through the Blanton’s diverse collection, traversing time and space. Recommended for all grades as an introduction to considering art and ideas. Guided lessons typically address the TEKS listed HERE.
• Art & Feelings: Designed for grades 3-8, but adaptable for all ages. Works of art from the Blanton’s collection will evoke empathy and inspire thoughtful conversation about Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) topics, including responsibility, respect, safety, self, and collaboration. Guided lessons typically address the TEKS listed HERE.
• Exploring Diversity: Designed for grades 7-12. The mission of this guided visit is to evoke the empathetic imagination using artwork as a catalyst for challenging conversations about identity, diversity, justice, race, immigration, resilience, taking action, and more. Guided lessons typically address the TEKS listed HERE.
• Tales & Trails: Designed for grades PK-2. This gallery lesson integrates visual literacy skills with Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) to link early childhood education concepts to students’ first
experiences in a museum setting. Each of the books and corresponding lessons focus on social and self-awareness.
Hour-long gallery lessons are available to school groups with at least two weeks advance notice. (Our schedule fills quickly, so booking early is advised.) We can accommodate a maximum of 60 students (and required chaperones*) Wednesday-Friday at 10:30am and 11:30am.
To request a guided visit for your school, please complete the K-12 Group Visit Request form.
*1 chaperone is required for every 8 students.
School group visits are $2 per student, including on Thursdays. Required chaperones and teachers accompanying the group are free. For planning purposes, teachers always receive free admission upon presentation of a school ID. Additional adults pay the general admission price of $12.
Drop Off & Parking
Due to construction at the museum, buses should plan to drop-off at the Metro Bus Stop at University Avenue and 21st Street in front of University Christian Church on the UT Campus, approximately 7 minutes walking to the Blanton.
Bus parking near the Blanton is extremely limited. Please plan ahead.
Chaperones can park in the Brazos Garage to the east of the museum. The museum offers a discounted parking rate of $4 when presented with a ticket from the parking garage.
A bus-drop off map may be downloaded HERE.
University of Texas Classes & Groups
Student, staff, and faculty groups are welcome to explore the museum through self-guided visits or guided visits. Blanton Educators are available to collaborate with faculty to create custom class visits to suit curricular needs and course objectives. In addition to in-person guided visits, the Blanton’s education department has developed a range of digital resources to support classroom learning. Learn more on our University Resources page.
University group visits are available Wednesday-Friday from 10:00am-4:00pm, with a maximum of 60 visitors per group.
- Custom Guided UT Group Visits: Please complete this guided request form.
- Self-Guided UT Group Visits: Please complete this self-guided request form.
If your college class/group is not affiliated with the University of Texas at Austin, please see the Adults and Other Area College & University Group Visits section below.
Self-guided and guided visits for current University of Texas faculty, staff and students are free of charge.
Student attendance must be mandatory for guided class visits. Professors and/or TAs are required to accompany their students on guided class visits.
Adults and Other Area College & University Group Visits
The Blanton provides several visit options for adults and students outside of the UT System.
Adult groups may request a guided visit on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday afternoons with a maximum of 20 visitors per group. Guided visits are offered free with museum admission, although donations are welcome.
To request a guided or self-guided visit for your adult or non-UT university group, please complete this visit request form.
Overview Visit: Features highlights of the collection with stops in the museum’s Modern and Contemporary Art Galleries, European Paintings Galleries, and Prints and Drawings Galleries. This guided visit surveys inspiring artworks spanning the Italian Renaissance to the cutting-edge contemporary art of North America and Latin America.
Permanent Collection Visit: An in-depth exploration of either the European Painting Galleries or the Modern and Contemporary Art Galleries.
Special Exhibition Visit: An engaging look at one of the Blanton’s special exhibitions.
Adult Guided Visits are $12 per person. Senior group visits are $10 per person. Non-UT college group visits are $5 per student. Non-UT college faculty are free with a valid ID.
Is your organization looking for fresh ways to inspire and empower internal teams?
Are you and your colleagues seeking creative activities to encourage thoughtful interaction and improve communication?
Our staff development workshops and customized retreats will provide an invaluable experience for workgroups in the corporate, technology, health, and non-profit sectors. Sample workshops include:
- Team Dynamics and Communication
- Different Ways of Thinking: From the Critical to the Creative
- Building Community around Shared Values and Stories
- Resilience and Well-being
- Playful Challenges
Click below to find out more information.